Leading leather tannery Elmo is at the forefront of environmental technology and commitment. Read their latest Sustainability Executive Summary.
- The raw-material (hide) is a by-product from the meat and dairy industry. None of the hides we use as raw-material comes from bovine animals being bred for the hides.
- Elmo can provide full traceability all the way back to the farm.
- Elmo requires all raw material suppliers to comply with international standards regarding animal wellbeing and guarantee a minimum of 6 animal welfare freedoms:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst.
- Freedom from discomfort.
- Freedom from pain, injuries and disease.
- Freedom to express their natural behaviour.
- Freedom from fear and stress.
- Freedom from experimentation.
Benchmark in Water Purification
- We use water from nearby river Ätran, after forming an integrated part in our tanning process the water passes through our innovative, state-of-the-art treatment plant before being discharged back into the river. Purified almost to perfection with several parameters pushing 100%, it empowers Elmo the position as the obvious industry benchmark. Downstream, a regional cleaning facility further filters the water, supplying cities on the Swedish West Coast with clean drinking water.
- Established in 2005, the waste water treatment plant received honourable citation by the EU LIFE-Environment program.
- Elmo borrows water rather than consuming it. We borrow 16.5m 3 of water per ton of rawhides which is less than half compared to conventional tanneries.
Excelling in Air Emission Reduction
- Elmo drove the industry by switching from solvent based coatings to water based coatings in the 1980’s. By seeking a sustainable solution that focused on the root cause, Elmo exceled at air emission reduction and generated a cost-effective long-term solution.
- 100% CO 2 neutral on energy. By using 100% renewable electricity and biofuel-based steam for our heating energy, Elmo have become fully CO 2 neutral on energy. The reduction in CO 2 emission is 4,400 tons per year which equals more than 2,250 passengers flying from New York to Paris.
- Elmo has maintained its position as the industry benchmark for air emission reduction with a VOC of 4.9 gr/produced sqm in 2019 compared to the EU directive of 85 gr/produced sqm.
Facilitating Sustainable Solutions
- Our lightweight leather concept delivers a weight reduction of up to a quarter compared to conventional automotive leathers. Now you can journey into a sustainable future with our next generation lightweight leathers whilst enjoying superior comfort and improved fuel efficiency. Take the green route with Elmo and support the customer chain to reduce the CO2 footprint.
- 20+ years of facilitating free of chrome options. Approximately 80% of our production at Elmo is free of chrome. For the chrome tanned process, we apply chromium extraction before the water goes to our innovated biological waste water treatment process, pushing the purification levels close to 100%.
More Green Initiatives
- Waste separation at source. All our waste is sorted, recycled and reused as raw-material for other industries or as energy.
- Hair (by-product) used by local farmers as high efficiency and environmental friendly fertiliser. Our tanning process remains becomes biogas for vehicles.